What's good y'all? I recently got the opportunity to sit down for an exclusive interview with a hot up and coming producer The Sultan. Although many of you probably haven't heard the name before, you might as well get familiar because dude is about to make some serious noise in the game. After grinding hard and putting down beats for acts like Drag-On, Edo-G, Akrobatik, & Skyzoo he recently hooked up with the one and only Joe Budden and ended up contributing four tracks on Budden's anticipated new project "Mood Muzik 3". In the interview we got a chance to discuss his come up, creative process, experience working with Budden, and also his upcoming projects.

Check out the full interview with The Sultan below...



JV: Alright man, let’s get right into it…for those who don’t know you, why don’t you introduce yourself?

Sultan: I go by the name WMS The Sultan, I am an up and coming producer out of Boston, MA the home of the undefeated Patriots & The World Series Champion Red Sox. I have done production for artists such as: Drag-On, Skyzoo, Edo G, Akrobatik, and Joe Budden.

JV: Word...Don’t forget them Celtics! Absolutely no one is touching any of the New England sports teams this year. So how many years have you been producing and how did you get your first break?

Sultan: I have been producing for about maybe 5 years now. My first industry credit was with Drag-On shout to him, I basically got that connect through Boston label Team 220 and Iceman Records (www.icemanrecords.com) this was maybe 3 years ago. Drag-On was featured on a song with Team 220, and they had heard about me through the label I am down with. So I put together some heat, Drag-On was feeling it, and we went down the studio and put it all down. I was able to be in the studio for the whole process of recording the song so I picked up some tips and saw I was on the right path. A big part of production is your credits so having that credit ended up opening up a lot of doors.

JV: That's a good look, it seems that nowadays more times than not an artist will hear a beat-tape and just get on the phone, buy the beat & record the track without even meeting or speaking to the producer. It seems like that traditional sessions with the artist & producer meeting face to face and collaborating is a lost art. That experience with Drag must have been a great way to improve your skills + learn more about the industry.

Sultan: Yeah, I think it’s always good to try to have some sort of input in the song whether being in on the studio session or talking to the artist on the phone, chopping it up with some ideas or trying to find out what their vision is.

JV: Also, once you get that credit, it must be a lot easier to shop your beats. I've heard a lot of horror stories about how shady the industry is…have you ever experienced anyone trying to jack one of your beats, or not give you the proper credit?

Sultan: Oh yeah…Tons of times when I was on the come up, but you live and learn. The important thing is not to make the same mistake twice. And of course read, read, & read. You should try to buy as many books as you can on publishing & royalties. Also you gotta copyright your music. Shout out to www.copyright.gov haha!! Seriously though, make sure you copyright your music cause if you don’t, its like having a car and leaving the door unlocked. Especially with production, cause these days dudes will take the two-track of a beat and put it out just like that.

JV: Real talk, even as a DJ when I was making blends and remixes I'd have dudes on the internet jacking my mixes and throwing their own drops over them claiming to be their own, it’s crazy and pathetic that some cats will go to such extreme lengths to get a little shine.


Sultan: Yeah people are unoriginal and either don't have the talent or are to lazy to put in the work so you always got to protect yourself.

JV: I know that a lot of dudes reading are aspiring producers themselves, can you give us a little insight on the equipment/software you use, and what your creative process is like?

Sultan: Well gear-wise I mainly use: a Motif rack, Axiom 61 Midi Controller, Vinyl Turntable, & Cakewalk, Sonar, & Soundforge on the software end. My process varies though, If I’m doing a track with no samples, I usually start off with the main melody then add the bass-line, a second melody, then the drums and build from there depending on what direction I want the song to go. The biggest difference in my production between now and when I first started is that I make the tracks with an idea in mind or I will write a hook and build the beat around what I write. With the joints with samples, I’ll usually hit the record stores and grab a whole bunch of vinyl then just kick back listen to the records until something jumps out. It might be a hot loop or some instrument I like and once I get the sample chopped up, I’ll add in the hi-hats and percussion to give it some movement, then the bass-line and drums to make it hit hard…The tracks always gotta hit hard!

JV: So true...some hard hitting drums really can make or break a track. So now that we got some background out of the way, I’d like to get into your recent work with Joe Budden. The Mood Muzik 3 project is over a year in the making and it’s widely considered one of the most anticipated joints of the year, how did you first get in contact with Joe?

Sultan: I linked up with the camp through my homie, Killah BH shout out to him…He got an ill ear for production. I basically sent them a gang of tracks and one joint stood out. I don't even know if its going on the tape, but the beat is hardbody. But yeah, after that I sent over more tracks and ideas. They really helped me step my production up and were honest with feedback.

JV: Straight up…It’s essential to have dudes in your circle that really know what's up and have good ears for music, as opposed to having some “yes men” around telling you everything is great regardless of how it sounds.

Sultan: Yeah, I always try to keep people around me who are honest, that’s how I developed as a producer so fast. I never really took music lessons or anything formal, I just got of got better off listening to suggestions to improve my sound instead of saying this dude or that dude is hating.

JV: After checking out the track list and production credits for Mood Muzik 3, you seem to be on more tracks than any other producer on the tape, that's got to be a great feeling.

Sultan: Yeah, The Klasix got the majority of the production on the CD, that’s the in-house production team…Shout out to them they got some heat!! I started submitting music in like July and they had already recorded a lot of material prior to me coming into the scheme of things. But I work fast, so once I got in the door…it was on. Actually, I just knocked out a beat while we were doing this interview.

JV: Haha multi-tasking…that’s what’s up!! But as far as the tracks go, did you get down in Jersey to work face to face in the sessions, or were you able to talk with him over the phone about the track ideas and whatnot?

Sultan: Well, the first joint they were feeling was just me submitting stuff outta my catalog. After that, I didn't go to the sessions but I just talked to the camp and sent tracks with ideas and they hit me back with what type of vibe they were going for, just bouncing ideas back and forth. Sometimes I would be making a track and it would just happen to fit what they wanted to do, and other times like the "Talk To ‘Em" beat, I custom made with Joe in mind. All in all, I probably sent them over 150 beats in all…I lost count.

JV: Wow that’s crazy…So were you ever able to ever meet with Joe & The On Top Muzik camp??

Sultan: Yeah…I ended up getting a chance to meet with them at the private listening party in November, so I think people can definitely look forward to hearing more Joe Budden/Sultan collabos in the future.

JV: Good to hear...From what I can see on the track list, you have four beats that made it on the final cut, can u give us a little breakdown of the sound & theme of each track?

Sultan: Well I’m not sure if I’m going to have a record added but I will talk about the joints I got so far…“Dear Diary”…That joint is so soulful the intro goes like "It’s 5’o clock and I'm just getting home, roaming on my own, what can I tell her that she might understand…" I knew right from the jump that song had to be some deep, personal shit. It hits hard but works perfect for telling a story too. The title is self explanatory; it’s a real personal song ya know?

JV: I hear you, one of Joey's signature deep, introspective joints…those are the kind of songs that drove MM2 and made it so good.

Sultan: Then we got “Roll Call” it’s probably my second favorite joint i did on the tape. The intro is mad epic sounding and the strings slowly build up the anticipation then the drums come in to give it that movement. I actually used a sample from a video game on this joint.

JV: Do you know which game?

Sultan: I think it was from Zelda! Haha...I try to grab samples from any and everywhere.

JV: Haha that's what's up!

Sultan: But i chopped it up good...This is a real high energy track...it comes in with alot of power...The last joint is called "Talk To 'Em". Production wise, that's definitely my favorite out of the ones I did. I basically made this joint with Joe in mind from the start. I'm glad he was feelin it, and went in on it. He's got bars for days. When dudes hear that track they are gonna lose it...the beat is both gritty & street, like some '93 type of sound. In fact the whole tape is crazy production-wise. Shout out to The Klasix, Mellow Madness, Shatek...all the producers on there.

JV: Thanks for that breakdown, I didn't think it was possible but you got me fiendin' to hear this joint even more than before....have you gotten a chance to hear the whole tape yet?

Sultan: I've heard about 75% of it i think, everything I heard so far is dope. I'm not sure what they might add to the final version. Like that "Talk To 'Em" joint I submitted not too long ago, just a little before the listening party.

JV: Word....I've yet to hear anything from the Klasix but from what Joe's said about them in interviews, it sounds like they got some serious skills. I know Shatek's been producing some heat for years though, he's always been on point.

Sultan: I'm just glad they just went for the best music and production on the CD instead of getting dudes off the strength of a name. There was no politics it was all about just making good music.

JV: Joe's been giving young guns some opportunities for years now. It's good to see that dude has an ear for beats and realizes the amount of unheard talent out there beyond the typical Timbalands, Storches, Neptunes etc. etc.

Sultan: Yeah, thats how the game is supposed to be though. Dude's is supposed to give the new young talent a chance. Thats how you keep it fresh instead of every rapper using the same 5 producers and have every album sound the same. Alot of dudes are scared to take a chance. In order to bring something new to the game and keep it fresh you gotta take a chance. So rappers hit me up 1-800-915-HITS i got that heat haha. And thats a real 800 number so anyone that want to get a beat CD hit me up there!

JV: Haha there ya go...open up those hotlines up and let the word of mouth take it's course.

Sultan: Yep you can reach me at 1-800-915-HITS, www.wmsbeats.com, or www.myspace.com/wmsthesultan. And anyone that hasn't pre-ordered Mood Muzik 3 yet your playing yourself!! Go pre-order it at www.mixtapekings.com

JV: You already know I got my copy ordered already!! So looking into the future, do you have any other projects in the works right now??

Sultan: Yep I am working on my CD titled: "The Sultan Mixtape Vol. 1 By Any Means Necessary". The first single should be out soon. Look out for it in like early '08. I'm doing all the production, so if you like what you hear on MM3, then this is for you. I got songs with Edo G, Akrobatik, Skyzoo, Ripshop and alot of upcoming New England talent.

JV: Sounds good, I'ma definitely keep an eye open for that. But before I let ya go do you have any final words for the Digital Undaground readers?

Sultan: I am also working with a Boston group Static and Messiah We got the single out right now called "Keep Wishing" featuring Leanne. The remix to that will be out in early January featuring Skyzoo. Then I'm also working on a masterpiece in the making with an extremely talented local artist "Q" titled "Clips Of Fury" that should be out next year. For update on upcoming projects you can always check out www.wmsbeats.com I'm always grinding and putting out new music so check it out.

JV: Alright dude....thanks for taking the time for this interview interview, you're definitely on the grind and doing big things...best of luck in the future.

Sultan: Thanks for the opportunity. Shout out to the whole Iceman 2000 team, Static and Messiah, Q, Joe Budden, Killah BH & The whole team. If you don't have Mood Music 3 yet get it at www.mixtapekings.com. If you want to hear more heat from The Sultan log on to www.wmsbeats.com or call 1-800-915-HITS for beats.


Here's some exclusive downloads of some of Sultan's work...

Static & Messiah ft. Leanne - Keep Wishing (Prod. by: WMS The Sultan)

Q ft. Leanne - Oieeee (Prod. by: WMS The Sultan)

Ms Blaze - Bitches Hustle (Prod. by WMS The Sultan)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO DOUBT THE SULTAN MAKIN IT HAPPEN...MUCH LOVE TO THE WHOLE WMS MOVEMENT...ILLITE ENTERTAINMENT RIDING WITH YOU SINCE DAY 1...LETS GET IT...WE UP NOW...NOBODY GOT NEXT...

NEW SINGLE "KEEP WISHIN'" FEAT. LEANNE

CHECK IT OUT AT WWW.MYSPACE.COM/STATICANDMESSIAH

Anonymous said...

Good read & you Rep Boston yeah!!!

Anonymous said...

Good ish man ... Likin' what I hear from you definetly. Your on ya grind heavy I seen ya stickers posted up in manhatten, much props !

- NICE

Anonymous said...

YA SULTAN!!!!!HARD WORK AND TALENT PAYS OFF :)